Friday, May 28, 2010

The Namikawa Neighborhood

2010

I've been very lucky to have been able to stay in a great neighborhood in the Kitayama Sanjo district. It's part of the old estate of Namikawa Yasuyuki, a master cloisonné craftsman who prospered in the late 19th century.  An old friend and dai-sempai (great older student) has kindly put me up in one of the classic Machiya row houses he rents on the block that dates back to 1870. 

The house where I'm staying has a very small entrance I have to crawl through to get inside and the thresholds between the tatami mat rooms are so low I am contently banging my head. I frequently quote the philosopher Homer Simpson: Doh!  

Here's the narrow street behind the Namikawa Cloisonne Museum.


This is the impossibly small front door


The main rooms


The front room facing the street


The boardwalk out back that leads to the garden and latrine


A back alley leading to a secret inn where I stayed a few nights (Hush!)



1 comment:

  1. this is a wonderful blog. you're such a lucky man, karl.

    ReplyDelete